Back to Life, Back to Reality
(Sorry not sorry for getting that song in your head). It was a wonderful two weeks of vacation. Here's what I did...
- Took photos of house treasures until I got bored
- Read through Grandma’s folders of trip memorabilia and traveled through time to far off places
- Sat with the boys under layers of blankets watching Vine videos of Bat Dad for entirely too long
- Took an entire day to pack up the Christmas decorations and pondered how I can make January feel as warm as December did (Hygge, ya'll!)
- Spent frivolous hours together with my husband the way we did before the business of building a family and careers took over
- Impromptu Nerf gun battles
- Listened to the boys and their friends play “Never have I”
- Dusted bookshelves and organized books by category
- Sang and danced with my boys
- Took naps
Here's what I didn't do:
- Anything I said I would. Not the boys' room, not getting everything up on the store, not reupholstering the other chair in the attic... none of it.
Yet somehow today I feel pretty good. Don’t get me wrong, I tortured myself about my "to do" list over the holiday. Especially that Tuesday when the kids went back to school after the holiday. After dropping them off, I sank my chilled bones into the bathtub and went into an internet browsing death spiral. "I should really get up and be productive, " I said to myself no less than one million times before exiting the tub to continue to be "unproductive." By Wednesday, I had had enough. I decided to give “should” the double bird salute.
So today, despite heading back to 12 hour days, I feel pretty darn good. My time off felt luxurious. We're all still crammed into one room to sleep, but you know what, I’m ok with it.